Albert Bridge is a state-heritage listed bridge is named after Queen Victoria’s husband, Prince Albert. Designed by engineers John Grainger and Henry Worsley and built by M C Davies and J Wishart under the supervision of City Surveyor J H Langdon, the Albert replaced a timber bridge built some twenty years earlier. The Bridge consists of three-span scalloped iron girders, cast iron cylindrical piers (which were equipped with bottom-cutting shoes and carried 4.5m down into the river gravels by excavation carried out by a diver), elegant cast iron handrails and abutments made from Tea Tree Gully stone. The bridge has a span of 36 metres broken into two spans of 9 metres and a central span of 18 metres.
In 1933 the original timber decking was replaced with reinforced concrete which was again replaced in the 1980s.
In 2000 guard rails and improved lighting were added to improve safety while retaining its gracious features.
In 2018, AFL Services is awarded the maintenance of Albert Bridge. This project included the manufacture, replacement and painting of the stringers, the bridge façade, and additional footpath beams using Jotun Imperite, a high gloss anti-graffiti coating.
AFL Services was awarded to perform the refurbishment of the Gawler Bridge. As a sub-contractor, AFL performed the following tasks:
- Provide scaffolding and encapsulation
- Lead abatement
- Crack injections and concrete repairs
- Structural steel rectifications and additions to upgrade bridge capacity
- Painting of the handrails and underside steelworks
- Pest eradication and installations of bird netting
- Supply and install Granor joint on the bridge deck
- Reinstatement of all Line marking from survey sector
As the bridge had a high level of lead content and most works were required to be done underside of the bridge, thus AFL had built a scaffold system covered with heavy-duty sheeting to prevent and minimise lead dust escape to the surrounding environment.
Built in 1940, the 78-year old bridge links Port Adelaide to the Lefevre Peninsula
The Birkenhead bridge in Adelaide, South Australia is the first operational double-leaf bascule drawbridge in the country.
Built in 1940, the 78-year old bridge links Port Adelaide to the Lefevre Peninsula with over 16,000 vehicles traveling on the bridge each day.
Over the years, the bridge has undergone modifications and scheduled mechanical and electrical maintenance. However, the biggest threats to the bridge are elements of nature such as salt, moisture and wind.
In March 2016, 40 hand rails with heritage listed capping beams over three metres long and 42 pillars on each side of the bridge require restoration. Six new pillars were added for the reconstruction of the footpath.
According to the contractor – AFL Services General Manager Adam Levi, the excess rust (Class D) was first removed with a needle gun, followed by abrasive blast cleaning using GMA PremiumBlast™ garnet to remove the lead coating to achieve a profile of 40-60 µm.
The surface was then coated with a zinc primer based on AS2312 PUR5 standards.
“For the first time, we performed the blast cleaning works in an inflatable work station to ensure the air and water quality at the work site were not affected. Cleaning up was also easier as the contained space created negative pressure for easy extraction of dust and blasted materials,” Adam said.
The project was completed in September 2018.
By Anthony Burns, Perth
REFURBISHMENT OF VARIOUS LIGHTHOUSES
AFL has been awarded by Mager to perform the refurbishment on various lighthouses:
- Cape Donnington Lighthouse
- Cape Schanck Lighthouse
- Cape Macquarie Lighthouse
- Mersey Bluff Lighthouse
- Robe Lighthouse
The following scope of work have been perform in the above lighthouses:
- Asbestos Removal
- Water Proofing
- Electrical Work
- New Panels Installation
- Vinyl Composite Tiles Replacement
- Concrete Remediation